Staging Your Home
Staging is an important step in preparing your home to sell. It is a method of decorating that highlights your home’s best features to potential buyers. In this post, we’ve put together some of the best tips for staging your home!
- Get Rid Of Clutter: This one is fairly easy. Clutter takes up space, and space is what you are trying to sell! Storing the things you don’t use regularly or that take up a lot of space can make your home appear larger to potential buyers. Remember to clear out closets if possible, as buyers will want to see how much room they have.
- Stage Where You Need To: Typically, buyers are most interested in the master bedroom, kitchen, and living room. Staging these areas well is more important than staging additional bedrooms and bathrooms, as they will receive the most attention.
- Repairs and Patches: If there are nail holes and scuffed walls in the house, many will assume the home has been neglected. We recommend walking through the house with an eraser pad to get rid of all the marks and scuffs on the walls. You can also fill nail holes and touch up paint as needed. Potential buyers will appreciate the extra effort put in to maintaining the home.
- Make a Good Impression: The first thing a buyer sees as they walk up to the house is the front entrance. You want to make the best impression possible here! Remove seasonal decorations, as they can make the listing look dated in photos. If you have a front stoop or porch, consider power-washing it to remove any dirt or stains there may be. You can also add a doormat and some potted plants for curb appeal.
- Lighting: People like well-lit rooms, so turn on the lights and open all the blinds! Open windows can make your space seem bigger, but be sure whatever is on the other side of the windows is clean and tidy.
- Clean Up: You will want to clean like you’ve never cleaned before! Scrub from floor to ceiling; a clean home suggests you took great care in maintaining your home. Potential buyers will notice this!
- De-Personalize Your Space: Potential buyers want to be able to imagine the space as their own. Removing items like family photos, visible personal items (such as toiletries, clothes, etc.,) and refrigerator magnets is recommended. This turns your home into a “blank canvas” for potential buyers!
- Rearrange Furniture: Open floor-space and walk-able paths throughout the house can make it seem much larger. They also help potential buyers envision where their furniture can go in the home. If you have furniture that doesn’t match the rest of the room, or doesn’t fit, we recommend storing it.
Home staging is a great way to make your home more appealing to potential buyers. You want to present your home in a way that shows off it’s best features; and allows potential buyers to imagine it as their own.
These tips are just a few ways that you can make your home really stand out from the rest of the crowd! If you need some inspiration, you can view our currently listed homes here!