What To Look For In Your Next Investment Property!
Have you been thinking about purchasing an investment property? Real estate can be a great investment if you know what you’re doing, but there are some risks involved. Below, we’ve compiled some things to look for when considering a rental property.
- Location – This first tip is an important one. When searching for a rental, location is the top thing tenants are interested in. Choosing an area that is close to schools, shopping, and healthcare is a good way to draw tenants in. Rentals in college towns or ski towns can be very profitable, but it can be difficult to lease one of these properties in the summer months, so that is something to keep in mind.
- Safety – Safety is very important to most people. Choosing a location with low crime rates is always smart when shopping for real estate to rent out. Installing quality locks and even a good security system can increase the appeal of your property!
- Parking – While not as crucial in rural areas, reserved parking for tenants in cities and more populated areas is a must. Rental properties with off-street parking or even a garage or carport can be a huge selling point to prospective tenants.
- Fresh Property – New builds or freshly renovated properties are usually more attractive to tenants searching for a rental. Moving into a new space is a fresh start for tenants, the rental should be as fresh as they feel!
- Open Space – An open floor plan with plenty of natural lighting feels a lot larger than a closed off space with no windows of the same size! Potential tenants will subconsciously lean towards a bright space over a darker one, so properties with lots of windows and lighting are preferable.
- Appliances Included – No one wants to buy appliances for a house they don’t own! Including essential appliances will add value to your rental property and will most likely get it rented sooner!
- Outdoor Space – Connecting with the outdoors is important to a lot of people; Especially in Colorado! An outdoor space like a backyard, deck, or even a small balcony to enjoy the mountain views can add a lot of value to your property. This is one feature that is typically more important in rural areas than it is in more urban environments.
- Pet Friendly – Pets are family to a lot of people, and no one wants to give up their family to move into a rental! Consider looking at more pet-friendly properties, as they will be more desirable to a lot of tenants. A house with a decent backyard and hard floors is ideal for a pet friendly rental.
- Job Market – Locations with a growing job market, or a strong established industry will draw more tenants. Job security is an important factor to consider when renting, so choosing a location with a strong job market is a good idea when looking for investment property.
- Trustworthiness – Tenants looking to rent a house want a landlord or property manager they can trust completely. Being honest with potential tenants and disclosing any negative aspects of the property that you are aware of is a good way to build trust as a rental owner. These people are depending on you to provide them with a safe and functional living space for months or even years at a time!
These are just a few tips to help you in your search for the perfect investment property! To speak with a NextHome RMR agent about purchasing your investment property, give us a call at (970) 507-8655. If you want to view our current inventory, visit our featured rentals page here!