Taking A Look At The Best Video Doorbells
Video doorbells have become more and more common the past couple years, with many different companies joining the competition. It can be difficult choosing the right doorbell for you. In this post we will outline the current most popular video doorbells available. Hopefully by the end of this blog, you will know which doorbell is right for you!
- Ring Doorbell – Ring is the most popular option right now. They have doorbells that are battery powered and hardwired, with several different color options available. They offer a subscription plan for $3 a month that includes 60 days of cloud storage. The ring doorbell is compatible with all Amazon smart devices as well as many different door lock companies such as Schlage, Kwikset, and Yale. The Ring doorbell is a great choice if you already use Amazon smart devices, or if you’re just getting into Smart Home integration.
- Arlo Video Doorbell – The Arlo Video Doorbell is another great option to consider! It features higher video quality than some competitors with it’s 180 degree 1080p HD camera. The Arlo subscription starts at $3 a month for 30 days of video history up to 2k resolution. This doorbell is compatible with Amazon Echo and Google Assistant. The Arlo can be hardwired very easily, but there is not currently a battery operated version available. At roughly 2in wide by 5in tall, this option is much more compact than some! We recommend the Arlo for those looking for a higher quality camera than what Ring has to offer.
- Nest Hello – The Nest Hello is Google’s flagship video doorbell. The front door package, priced at $289, includes the Hello camera and a Google Nest Hub. If you already own the hub, the Hello can be purchased separately for $229. The cloud storage subscription for this device, called Nest Aware, can be had for $6 a month and includes 30 days of video history. If you have this subscription, the camera has the capability to recognize familiar faces! It is also able to distinguish the differences between people and packages, pretty cool! Unfortunately, the Nest Hello is only compatible with Google products, which may limit what you are able to do with it. This is the recommended device for consumers who have already bought into the Google ecosystem.
- Eufy Video Doorbell – The Eufy is less expensive most of the other doorbells on this list, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t great! This doorbell features 2k footage and 16gb of local storage, so you don’t necessarily need cloud storage! If you do want cloud storage, however, it is available for $3 per month for 30 days of footage. This device is compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Eufy’s own app. This doorbell is available in hardwired and battery operated versions. You cannot use your existing chime with this bell, but a new one is included. This is a great budget model, with some impressive features like Snapshot, which texts you a photo if someone has been up to your door.
- Remo+ Remobell S – The Remo+ Remobell S comes in at only $99, making it the least expensive video doorbell on this list! Included for free with this device is 3 days of rolling cloud storage, no subscription needed! If you would like more cloud storage, you can subscribe for 30 days of rolling storage for only $30 per year. This device is compatible with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, and IFTTT. The main drawback with this device is the slightly lower resolution (1536×1536) and the lack of smart features such as facial recognition. It does, however, have the ability to set motion detection “zones” so you don’t get alerts you do not want. This is the perfect starter doorbell at a very reasonable price. If you aren’t possible video doorbells are for you, we recommend buying this one.
- Altro Smart Model X – The Altro Smart Model X is a little different from the other video doorbells on this list. This device is a door deadbolt that has a video camera built in! This lock features two-way audio, a video doorbell, multiple passcodes, and 24×7 activity logging. This lock allows the user to lock and unlock the door from anywhere on their smartphone. The Altro is compatible with the Altro app, Alexa, and Google Home. This camera even has an HD IR night vision camera, so your footage is usable even when recorded at night! This is a great, feature packed model if you are looking for a smart lock for your rental properties, or your own home. Coming in at $349, it is more pricey than the standalone video doorbells on this list, but I think the added features are well worth the premium you pay.
At the time of this writing, these are the highest rated video doorbells currently available. We think each of them has their own advantages and are definitely worth a look! Smart doorbells increase the security at your home and can provide great peace of mind. If you really want a video doorbell, but don’t yet have a place to put one, give us a call at (970) 507-8655 or come visit us in the office! We would love to help you find your Next Home!